Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Be afraid! Be VERY afraid! Digital Audio on 20 Meters (video)



Here is a very interesting comparison between digital audio, and plain old SSB audio (from a Collins rig!).

I don't know.  I may be prejudiced here, but that digi audio just doesn't sound too good to me.  And I ask myself: "How could it?"  They are restricting the transmit bandwidth to 1.2 kHz.  Can the error correcting elements of the software help them get around the bandwidth limits of Shannon's communications theory?  

The digi audio sounds quite robotic to me. Even Siri sounds better.  Is this because -- as the receiving station noted -- they were only getting "80 percent decode"?   Would the digi audio have sounded better if signal strength had been better? 

Again, I don't know.  But remember. I am a Ludite (with a single d -- the ORIGINAL spelling!).

5 comments:

  1. "Check your transmitter OM. It seems like it might not be ready for prime-time."
    I admire the experimentation, but I'm not a fan either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear ham radio is the only techonogly that I can think of where digital is LESS QUALITY than analog.

    Think about it...every other field...music CD's vs LPs, DVD vs VHS, ATSC vs NTSC TV, etc. when they went digital the quality went UP from the analog version.

    I just don't get it.


    Call me when the digital is at least as good as the analog equivalent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure has a long way to go. Digital FM is only 6.25khz and sounds a lot better

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the digital sounds fantastically better because there is so little noise. Yes, it sounds a bit peculiar but it is much more readable over the same circuit conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely respect and appreciate your point on each and every object. Every Door Direct Mail online printing

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column