Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Boatanchor Dreams



Greetings Bill and Fellow Solder Melters,

Back in 1965, I bought a brand new HT-37 from a radio store in Pittsburgh, Pa.
It had been tucked away by the owner for his own personal collection.
He finally softened and sold it to me.  The Hallicrafters HT-37 became by Big Dog for many years.
In 2005, I fell on some difficult times and sold it. I regretted the departure moments after the exchange.
Well, finally after lots of searching, the right unit came along.
Here are a few pictures of my excellent E-bay buy.
I will begin to dig into the electrical status of the rig later this week but the unit seems well cared for and not abused. 
I will keep you posted. It will be happily married to my Drake 2B and Q-Multiplier after it passes muster.Yes fellow hams there are still gems out there for your collections. Just wait for the right buy and then go for it!

73’s  Harv -=WA3EIB=-



----------------------------------------------------------


Photo by WA4KCY
Bill,
       I know you would appreciate this. Got an email this morning from a local ham who was getting rid of some "junk" radios, wondered if I or someone else could use them. Once I heard I got over there to pick them up. Among the usual, real junk was a Hammarlund HQ-110C receiver, in the original box and a Johnson Viking Ranger, also in the box. With all the manuals as well. The boxes are showing their age, the Ranger's being not much to look at. I am told neither works and haven't been looked at / turned for at least 20 years. What a find! They are very clean and complete, as far as I can tell.
The plan is to restore them to pristine condition and, hopefully, use them in one of the local museum as a working station.
 
Mike Herr
WA6ARA
DM-15dp




Our book: "SolderSmoke -- Global Adventures in Wireless Electronics" http://soldersmoke.com/book.htm Our coffee mugs, T-Shirts, bumper stickers: http://www.cafepress.com/SolderSmoke Our Book Store: http://astore.amazon.com/contracross-20

No comments:

Post a Comment

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column